GMC Western States
Newsletter Number 40 - March 15, 2000

President's Message

Hello to all of you in the 11 western states, 3 western provinces and to all those further afield. First off, I want to remind every one who can fit the spring Redwood Millenium Roundup into your calendar to get your application in to Roy Platz or Miki Singleton soon, so they know how many are coming and can plan accordingly. April 24-29 at Ukiah, California is where the good time and action will be. For the fall Bill Harvey is working on plans for Sept 10-15 at Newport, Washington. This is just 330 miles away from, and two days space between, the International Rally at Welches, Oregon. This is a deliberate plan by the two clubs as many will want to take in both activities.

Some time ago your Executive was discussing ways and means to keep our membership informed and knowledgeable on the mechanics of our vehicles. Many of course come out to the Roundups and take in the seminars, and it would normally be expected that within several years one will become very knowledgeable through this process along with the many discussions and observations one can make at the Roundups. However not all can get out to all the Roundups, and especially for a new owner, one needs to become aware of many systems and components of the vehicle as quickly as possible. With our vehicles now tall on age and in many cases mileage too, one cannot necessarily wait a year before checking, repairing or replacing some parts or systems.

So with this in mind we are making available to all members a number of the booklets which are a summary of past seminars we have held. Most members doubtless already will have these, but there may be some who are missing some or all of them. For new members who are joining this year, they will receive one each of these booklets in their new member welcome package. (Please note for those who have already joined this year, these booklets will be coming to you soon, courtesy of Frank Condos, but there has been delay as they have only just recently gone to printing).

For those who are already members and who would like one or more of the booklets, we are making them available at cost.

Booklet 1 " WHAT EVERY GMC OWNER SHOULD KNOW"
Booklet 2 " THE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM"
Booklet 3 " THE IGNITION SYSTEM"
Booklet 4 " THE ONAN CONTROL BOARD"
Booklet 5 " AUTOMOTIVE AIR CONDITIONING - SEPARATING HOT FROM COLD"

If you would like any or all of these, contact our Secretary Frank Condos and he will be glad to help you.

PRICES ARE: ANY SINGLE COPIES ARE $1.00 EACH INCLUDING POSTAGE
ALL FIVE BOOKLETS FOR $4.00 INCLUDING POSTAGE

In addition we have now up on our web site all the TECH CENTER articles which have been in our quarterly newsletter going right back to the beginning. Chuck Aulgur, our Tech Vice President, and the rest of our Executive Board want to see your travels be as carefree and trouble free as possible, so we hope this effort will be helpful to you. Incidentally we are indebted to Duane Simmons and Zay Brand for updating and preparing these booklets for us.

In my last message I listed the various ones who are acting as Representatives for each state. We now also have Bill Shumway who will be our northern California Rep. You can reach him at "wshumway@ixnetcom.com". We have a lot of members in California, so he will share the state with Russ Ellis taking the southern part.

While these various members are our official representatives, your club also really counts on all our members to be the club's ambassadors, or sales persons, for advertising the club. Many of us (but I know not all!) whenever we see another GMC, our heart skips a beat and we want to go over and introduce ourselves and chat a bit. Or maybe someone comes up to us and admires our GMC. These are great opportunities to share something about GMC WESTERN STATES. It is nice to be able to leave these folk with something written down about the club along with an application and address.

With this in mind and to make it easy for all of us, we have updated a former pamphlet and have included several with this newsletter. I would like to suggest putting them in the glove box of your GMC and maybe even also in your car. If you come across another GMC and there is no one around to speak to, you can always slip the pamphlet under the windshield. If they already belong to Western States, they will at least know there is another enthusiastic member out there!

Take care everyone, and I hope to see you in Ukiah in April.
Claude Brousson, President

Next Page

Home

NewsLetters